Math Workshop - Multiplication of Multi-Digit Numbers - work stations

It's multiplication city in Room 206 right now! We are working on multiplying multi-digit numbers accurately in math workshop.  Practicing this skill can get pretty repetitive and even a bit boring after a few days. So I decided to switch it up with some stations.  The kids can only handle listening to my voice for so long anyway. LOL  Plus, I have so many students at different levels so some differentiating was much needed.  It's going pretty well so far, the kids actually begged for the stations again today so that's why I'm saying it's successful so far.  Here's all I did - it took very little planning.  Have you checked out www.themathworksheetsite.com?  If not, go now! Tons of math practice sheets - TOTALLY FREE.  I used this site to print out the differentiated practice sheets. Easy peezy!

So first of all, I determined my groups with a quick pretest.

I have one group who needs to review multiplying multi-digit numbers by a one digit number, so they worked with my Title One aide for the first station (20 minutes) and then played multiplication war (just like the real WAR card game but each player turns over two cards and the highest product takes all - aces are worth one, jacks are worth 10, queens are worth 11, and kings are worth 12) for the second station (20 minutes). *You will need several decks of cards rubber banded together in a small basket (I suggest numbering each deck, for example putting number 1s on the back of one deck, numbers 2s on the back of a second deck, etc. so if a card is left on the ground - which we all know is inevitable - it can quickly be returned to the correct deck.)

My second group needs to review multiplying multi-digit numbers by a two-digit number, so they played multiplication war first (20 minutes) - (both groups are a bit below grade level so fact practice is a must) and worked with my Title One aide for the second station (20 minutes). I gave my Title One aide the practice sheets from www.themathworksheetsite.com to work on with both groups 1 and 2.  Again, it took me five minutes to find the practice sheets and print them out.  Further bonus, both groups got small group instruction which is beneficial for below level kids who struggle with attending.

My third group is working on multiplying multi-digit numbers by multi-digit numbers.  They worked with me for the first station (20 minutes).  I used the SMARTBoard to increase their engagement - for some reason writing on the SMARTboard is the coolest thing since microwave popcorn! They also completed a practice sheet from www.themathworksheetsite.com.  Secondly, they played The Factor Game for station number two (20 minutes). We just finished our unit on factors and multiples so this game will become a choice throughout the year to reinforce/spiral past learning.  Here is a link to the online version of The Factor Game and here is a paper copy as well - The-Factor-Game-Freebie


During station number two I conferred with students playing multiplication war and The Factor Game. This is where/when I take notes/observe who's got it and who needs more practice.  I just walk around with my fancy clipboard full of mailing labels and jot down notes.  After class, I stick the notes into my conferring binder on each student's individual page. Couldn't be easier.  At conferences, I'll just have to flip open to the student's page and share the notes with parents.

On Day 2 we continued the exact same stations, I just made each practice sheet one digit harder.  Tomorrow is Day 3.  Groups 1 and 2 will learn/play The Factor Game instead of multiplication war and group 3 will work on problem solving enrichment problems.

On Day 4 we will take a formative assessment so I can shift groups if needed for next week.

Gotta love math workshop - engagement, differentiation, small group instruction - all in one!

Enjoy!




2 comments

  1. Replies
    1. It's like the regular WAR card game. Each pair of students need a deck of playing cards (Jacks = 10, Queens = 11, Kings = 12, Aces = 1). The partners split the deck evenly. Each partner turns over two cards and multiplies them. Whoever has the biggest product wins all four cards. If the product is a tie, it's WAR. Both partners turn over two more cards and whoever has the biggest product wins all eight cards. Students play until one player is out of cards. Hope that makes sense. My students love to play and it's relatively low maintenance on my part. Great for basic fact practice! You could play it with addition or subtraction facts also.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Back to Top