Looking forward to 2013

Michelle over at Making it as a Middle School Teacher is hosting a Looking Forward to 2013 linky party. Click on the picture below to link up.  My answers are also below.




         Surprisingly, it was harder than I thought to plan ahead for some areas of 2013.  But it is definitely a year I'm looking forward to.  In 2013 I will conclude my tenth year as a fifth grade teacher.  My youngest will graduate kindergarten, and my oldest will enter my building as a fourth grader in the fall.  Hopefully we will travel to the Columbus Zoo for my daughter's birthday (she loves, loves animals) and Kalahari Water Park is a request by my son.  I'm hoping to increase my usage of technology in the classroom, as well as continue to implement reading, writing and math workshops daily.  My professional goals are to confer with students with more fidelity during all workshops.  Too many days go by where I magically end up doing something else besides conferring.  My personal goal is to spend as much quality time as possible with my husband and kids, I easily get way to wrapped up in work.

So, here's to a great 2013.  I can't wait to read all of the things you're looking forward to!


15 comments

  1. Hi Missy,

    I hear ya about days going by without conferring with students! I need to make more time for that as well - in reading, writing and math.

    Like you, I can easily get wrapped up in work and I plan to spend more quality time with my kids and hubby. The evenings are short, but the kids are only young once.

    Good luck with your goals for 2013!

    Krystal
    www.lessonsfromthemiddle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krystal, you're right, the evenings are definitely short. Make dinner, change clothes, one game and it's time for bed. LOL

      Delete
  2. I'm looking for a good read. What is the Uglies series?

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about it a few years ago from a former student of mine. It's been on my list for awhile! I'm finally getting around to it now. Here's a link

      http://www.amazon.com/Uglies-The-Scott-Westerfeld/dp/1442419814/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356900666&sr=8-1&keywords=uglies


      Delete
  3. I totally agree about the conferring! I need to make more time too without getting sidetracked. What is one school, one book? It sounds intriguing.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our whole school reads the same book during the month of March for "March is Reading Month." We just started it last year and it was a ton of fun. We do all kinds of daily activities with the book, and the kids are very motivated to read each night because everyone; bus drivers, teachers, parents, custodians, etc., are reading and talking about the story. I think you can look up the program online!

      Delete
  4. I loved the Uglies series. Our school librarian pointed it out last year and I coudldn't out it down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just requested all four from our public library - cant' wait to get started.

      Delete
  5. I hear ya about conferring - I love teaching writing and yet find it one of the trickiest things to teach to my 5th graders. I am working on a plan/schedule to make sure I can confer enough with each student on each paper.

    I'll have to check out that book series - looks interesting. And I really like the One school, one book idea. How fun!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your plan/schedule for conferring when you get it complete! I try to use the CAFE calendar to keep me on schedule, but it's hard.

      Delete
  6. I can totally relate about interventions! Mine always seem to just be a band-aid and not really long term learning. I'll check back here to see what ideas you have! ;-)

    Happy New Year!

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, transferring the learning is the hardest part. Maybe one of us will solve that mystery soon. LOL

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up and joining in the fun!

    I'll have to check out Uglies. I love to read series, so this definitely caught my attention!

    Best of luck with all of your goals for the New Year!

    ~Michelle
    Making It As A Middle School Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Michelle, I always enjoy reading your posts! Happy New Year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top