Tuesday Trade - Angry Verbs

I'm always looking for ways to liven up the 5-10 minutes of grammar practice we do in our classroom each day. So when Jessica from Joy in the Journey offered to trade her Angry Verbs activities for my Current Events Close Reading Resource, I said Yes, Yes, Yes!  (Check out her blog for a review of my product)





And I'm glad I did. I noticed just last week that my fifth graders can identify the action verbs in their writing but struggle with the good old linking verbs. I'm always telling them - every sentence has a verb! (Well except when author's choose to craft incomplete sentences, but in most cases- I'll say it again- every sentence has a verb!) But they aren't seeing the verb if it isn't an action. Jessica's activity helped us do a lesson on linking verbs without boring, old worksheets. Yay!

First we picked our angry bird and colored it neatly!



We had a great discussion about the things angry birds do and we wrote about our angry bird using these action verbs - we called them "Angry Verbs." Then we described our angry bird with linking verbs. We looked up common linking verbs on the Internet for reference.




The next day we chose our favorite sentences-one with an action verb and one with a linking verb, and we created these cute cards to display.



Lastly we hunted for action and linking verbs in our independent reading books.We will continue to notice the verbs we use in our writing throughout the remainder of the year.  I'm hoping the "Angry Verbs" reference will stick with kids a lot longer than any workbook page.




For more  fun grammar ideas check out my fifth grade grammar Pinterest board!

Also, check out Jessica's review of my Current Events Close Reading Instructional Packet.

Lastly, I'm linking up with Fourth Grade Flipper's Tried it Tuesday!  Join in!

Photobucket
Enjoy :)




3 comments

  1. My students struggle with linking verbs too. I agree that this idea will really stick in their minds longer than a worksheet! What a great idea to trade products and blog about them. I loved your current events template that Jessica shared:) Thank you so much for linking up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy I found you through Holly's linky party and I'm your newest follower! Cute activity! I'll have to check it out! You can tell your kids loved it!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top