Academic Vocabulary Part 2

I know we are all on summer break, but some of us who can't turn our teacher brains off, are already thinking about how we want to set up next year's classroom.  One thing I've been thinking a lot about is how I want to set up my word walls.  Even us upper elementary and middle school teachers need to have academic word walls in our classrooms.  I posted a few days ago about how Robert Marzano, in his book Building Academic Vocabulary, states that students need exposure to new academic vocabulary words 26 times before they internalize the word's meaning.


I  just have to say it again - 26 times!!!  Yikes, I feel so guilty because academic vocabulary has not been a focus area of mine in the past.  Some years, I never even put up a word wall - gulp.  After reading the book a few summers ago, I put up a math word wall, and we now do lots of self-assessment, recording in our notebooks, and activities with each new Common Core math academic vocabulary word. This year I'm planning to do the same with an ELA word wall.  Two word walls!!!  

So, I've been busy.  I've redesigned my math word wall cards.  Since not everyone, sigh, is a fan of zebra print like I am LOL. 


 I've also created a polka dot (and I almost like this version better than the zebra LOL)  and a chevron version.  I've created separate grade level sets for 3rd through 6th grades, and also a Bundled pack because I don't know about you, but we always have to review terms from previous grade levels in my class. 


  


Hopefully, I'll be finished with the ELA version soon.  I can't wait.  It's much harder though than the math word wall cards.  There are SO MANY ELA terms in the 3rd through 6th grade Common Core standards.  I'm including words from the reading, writing, language, speaking and listening strands. 

Stay tuned........

Right now we are enjoying the summer in beautiful Northern Michigan at our family cottage.  We will be here the whole week and it's so nice to have time to get caught up on reading and relaxing.  Oh and some good eating too.  






No comments

Back to Top