Freebie and ELA Common Core vocabulary

It's Friday and I'm staring into the last weekend before summer school starts on Monday!  Yikes - summer is flying by.  I'm loving every minute, but I need to figure out how to slow it down.  Any ideas?  While I wait on that magical "time slowing" fairy to appear, I'm linking up with Teaching Blog Addict's Freebie Friday.  I've linked up my Freebie Math Word Wall Banner once before, but I've updated and added new graphics so I'm linking up Version 2.




Tonight I'm also announcing that my ELA Common Core Academic Vocabulary Word Wall Cards are complete.  Whew!  There are a LOT of vocabulary words in the Common Core - 195 cards to be exact.  This baby took awhile but will be so worth it this year.  I can't wait to get them printed, laminated, cut and ready to post throughout the year.  Explicit teaching of academic vocabulary has never been a focal point of mine, so I'm making it one of my goals for this year.  I created four sets.  I'll be hanging the zebra black version in my room.  But I also created a zebra white, chevron and polka dot version.

      

       

Soon I plan to post about how we set up our academic vocabulary folders.  I've got a few Marzano inspired Freebies in the works for the next Freebie Friday, so stay tuned.  Anyone else use academic vocabulary folders or notebooks?  I'd love some more great ideas on how to improve our focus on academic vocabulary.

Happy Weekend!


7 comments

  1. SO CUTE! I wish I taught ELA. Sadly, just math. I also really like your blog. I wish I taught in the elementary level, but I will get there some day...Besides, I like the way you think. Because of this I nominated you for a Leibster Award. It is an award designed to recognize the hard work of new bloggers who do amazing work but might not have the followers that other blogs have. I think you are one of those bloggers who deserve the nod. For more information and how to accept head on over to my blog at
    Leaping Liebster Awards I Accept
    Cheers,
    Jameson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jameson! You are so sweet. If you're looking for math word wall cards, look HERE.

      Melissa
      Wild About Fifth Grade

      Delete
  2. I will keep an eye on your blog. I am new to middle school (taught high school for 8 years) so I have yet to experience such cute things as a polka dot word wall. I was looking at my room yesterday and contemplating a word wall but I could not quite figure out where it might go or how it might be used (and not forgotten). Thanks for all of your hard work. These look awesome and they are going on my wish list so I don't forget about them. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with middle school Heather. And welcome to the world of cute classroom decor - it becomes addicting. LOL I'm checking out your blog right now. Thanks for stopping by.

      Melissa

      Delete
    2. Just found your blog, too, Melissa! I am excited to follow because I'll be a new 5th grade teacher this year :)

      Lauren
      The Sweetest Thing
      Follow me on Bloglovin'!

      Delete
    3. Lauren I hope you love fifth graders as much as I do. Good luck this year! I'm headed to your blog right now. :)

      Melissa

      Delete
  3. Everyone needs to build their vocabulary at some time in their life, whether you are an ELA student who simply needs to gain vocabulary and use it for everyday life or if you are a native speaker who has got a new job or even is starting to study in a new area. Vocabulary development is useful for everyone. But to build vocabulary isn’t just about sitting and memorizing lots of lists, it is about finding creative ways to understand and use the words correctly.
    https://vocabmonk.com helps one to build their vocabulary with its interesting gamified strategies. Give a try..!!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top