Workshop Set Up

I'm linking up with Jivey today for Workshop Wednesday. Today's topic is Workshop set-up.



For me, the most important part of setting up for Workshop - is the gathering space.  This is where our mini-lessons happen, students work in pairs, read/write or work on math independently, and where we convene for our closure discussions. In my classroom we have tiled floors, so a large carpet is a necessity for students to sit on and get comfortable. Also, some special and unique seating options are fun to have on the perimeter of the carpet for select students.  We have a "Sit around the Room" chart where each day different students are chosen for the special spots. I pull sticks each morning, the sticks fit in the pockets of the chart.  The next morning, those sticks go into a separate basket until all students have had a chance to sit around the room.  Then we start over.

Here is my dream carpet - to go along with my black/white zebra theme.  Also, some fun seating options that I've pinned on pinterest.



Here is some of the fun seating we used last year.  We kept the seating in the library area but pulled it out to the main carpet during Workshop times.  We also had several black bean bags. 



Secondly a teacher chair (you can see my rocking chair above) is a must to sit in during mini-lessons and read aloud times. The teacher chair is also on our "sit around the room chart" to be used during Workshop times when I'm meeting with small groups. 

Third, an easel is a must for creating anchor charts as a class, recording student's thinking, taking notes, and teaching new concepts.  

Fourthly (is that a word?), materials - a classroom library for Reader's Workshop (see mine above), a writing station for Writer's Workshop, and lots of manipulatives stored in an organized area for Math Workshop.


This was the beginnings of our writing area from last year.  You can see the dictionaries and thesauruses on the bottom shelf. The clip boards and dry erase boards to the left (now they are covered in zebra duct tape (LOVE)).The black tubs eventually held highlighters, red pens for editing, white out, crayons/colored pencils, etc. We also added a file folder shelf on top which contained different types of writing and drawing paper - in zebra print file folders of course. :)  Also, the CAFE posters were moved to a different bulletin board and we posted our Six Traits of Writing, and writing process posters here.  You can also slightly see some of the math manipulatives on the shelf to the left.  This year I'm moving them to a different area specifically set up for math stations/centers, with manipulatives, materials, task cards, etc, right next to our math word wall.  Stay tuned for those pics in August.  We aren't allowed back into our rooms until the middle of August. We start back up after Labor Day.  

Lastly, a place to meet with small groups for strategy work, intervention, and enrichment.  Our classrooms are pretty small, so some of my colleagues meet with their small groups on the carpet during workshop time.  You can also have a table area space too.  That's what I prefer, that way I can keep my small group instruction materials nearby.  Seating for 5-6 is preferable.  The stools I posted above are perfect for saving space at a small group area.

Whew!  That's it.  Now I really want to get into my classroom and start setting up LOL.  I love new beginnings.  It's one of the many great parts of being a teacher.  

But right now, I'm on summer break (another great part) in Northern Michagan and enjoying a beautiful week on Higgin's Lake!  


Enjoy all!


14 comments

  1. Hey Missy! Thanks so much for linking up! I love everything you have going on in this post! One thing I need this year is a GOOD teacher's chair. I want to be on the lookout this summer at thrift stores maybe... I love your zebra theme too! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS way to bring back the old school button! Hee hee! ;-)

      Delete
  2. LOL I'm upnorth and only have my IPAD posting from it is such a pain. I could only use this button because it was saved on my IPAD from a previous post. Hope you don't mind. :) Also, I cannot adjust the picture sizes when posting through Blogger on my IPAD. Ugh!! I miss my laptop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these ideas! Classroom storage is huge for me and I like all of these ideas! I also love when they have fun places to read and write! :O)

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas. You are right. Setting up ideal spaces is very key to starting off a good year.
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missy, thank you for all your ideas! I'm always looking for new things to try. I am your newest follower. I teach 4th grade Gifted Language Arts in SC. I am always looking for 5th grade teachers to follow so I can challenge them! Have a great rest of the summer!
    Pam
    Rockin Resources

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I'm a follower over at your blog now too. :) Gifted Language Arts would be so much fun to teach!!!

      Melissa

      Delete
  6. I think this year I'm going to put into practice the "Sit Around the Room" chart. Great idea! I just clicked on Bloglovin' to follow you. My students loved "Wonder"! Great blog!
    -Veronica


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the chart works for you! My kids love when I pull sticks for the chart each morning. :) Plus, no fighting over the "comfy" spots.

      Melissa

      Delete
  7. Your room looks so comfy and cozy! What child wouldn't want to curl up and read a good book there!? Looks awesome!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks Kerry. You are too sweet!

      Melissa

      Delete
  8. I too love me some zebra! I like the idea of using pick-sticks for choosing the comfy spots. Mine always fight, but i didn't want to deal with a whole nother clip chart like I've seen other teachers use.
    -Jen
    Tropical Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top