Back to School "In a Flash" Decor and More



I'm back for week 3 of our "Back to School in a Flash" blog series.  This week's theme is "Decor and More."  I hope you'll link up with us and show off pictures of your classroom decor.  Since I can't get into my classroom yet this year, I'm showing off some of my favorites from last year.   Here we go!

This is a close up of our vocabulary bulletin board.  You know how much I love animal print and academic vocabulary - this board is so me!  I post academic vocabulary in Math and ELA for students to reference all year long.  These boards become our living text books!



Our classroom library is seriously my favorite place in the classroom.  I've loved libraries my entire life and I spend days getting ours ready for the new year.  I love to organize books in bins by author, series, topics, etc.  Kids grab a basket and take it back to their desks to browse - so much more convenient and user friendly than staring at spines without any organization!  You can see I've also tied in the animal print with my book bin lables and the black, white and lime green accents too!




This is one of our front bulletin boards and has two important purposes - I use large popsicle sticks with student names to showcase who gets to Read Around the Room each day and who takes cares of Classroom Jobs each week.  Fifth graders love fair and randomly drawing popsicle sticks is about as fair as you can get.  Both of these sets are FREE in my store if you're interested.




Anyone else a Donalyn Miller fanatic like me?  She is so inspiring and truly believes in teaching students to LOVE reading.  One way I share the joy of reading is by constantly talking about the books I'm reading during our daily status of the class time. My students and I encourage each other to try and read 40 books throughout the school year, as part of the 40 book challenge.  As I finish each book, I print out the book cover and tape it to my 40 book challenge door.  I love talking about the books with other student readers as they pass by in the hallway.  And it's so fun to watch the display grow.  You can get a FREE 40 book challenge sign from my store if you'd like to take the challenge too!

Lastly, these pencil cans!!!  Can you actually believe that I made them??  All you crafty people can stop laughing now, I'm really proud of these cans.  This is a big deal to me.  I am SO NOT CRAFTY.  But I made these in a very short amount of time - thanks to some Campbells Soup cans, black spray paint, ribbons, hot glue and my supply labels.  They are still going strong too!!

Check out all of my other friends' "Decor and More" posts in the link up below.  And link up too if you have time.  I want to see your favorite classroom pictures!!



4 comments

  1. Your classroom looks beautiful! Can't wait to see a full reveal. You've shared a lot of great things in this post! I love the 40 book Challenge display and the idea of Reading around the Room!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Layla
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to actually get in and work on this year's decor!!!! My full reveal won't come until September!

      Delete
  2. I love your classroom library! It looks so neat, organized and FULL! I also use a math vocabulary wall and it really helps my students to start using the academic vocabulary in their work. Thanks for linking up!
    Diary of a Not So Wimpy Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top