Trick or Treat Blog Hop full of goodies



Happy October teacher friends! I'm joining up with the Classroom Game Nook blog for a Trick or Treat blog hop this weekend!  And we sure have some goodies in store for you!



But first, I have to let you know that my laptop broke this week.  Ahhhhhhhhh.   My life is on that laptop - so I'm crossing my fingers that the Geek Squad will come to my rescue on Thursday when I'm scheduled to drop it off.  However, it means that I'm computer-less for who knows how long.

So, without a computer I have to throw it back with a previous post I wrote last Halloween about how I use task cards in my classroom.  I hope you haven't read it and you'll find the trick to be helpful with your task card usage.  If you have read it already, just go right ahead and skip on down to the good stuff -  a freebie treat for you and a giveaway too!



The trick that I'm sharing is how I use task cards during math workshop - scavenger hunt style.  We all know about the MANY, MANY awesome ways you can use task cards in your classroom.  From scoot, to partner quizzing, to independent practice, to self assessment, the list goes on and on. I've tried almost all of them, and in the end, the task card trick that works best for my class is a task card scavenger hunt.

We call this our Task Card Center during Math Workshop, and students know that when it's their turn to complete this center, instead of doing problems out of of their math book for independent practice, they are going to search out the problems around the room. They LOVE this activity because they get to be up and moving around.  I LOVE this activity because I only have to print one set of task cards in color, laminate and cut, and they stay in great shape because no one is touching them except me......ha ha ha.




How do I set up the scavenger hunt?  It's super easy.  Print and cut out your set of task cards. Laminate if you wish for better durability. Print out enough recording sheets for each student. Before class, tape the cards around the room - I make some pretty easy to find, and some a bit more "tricky."

When class starts, instruct students to use a clipboard and their recording sheet and walk around quietly searching for a card.  When they find a card, they write down the problem on their recording sheet and begin to solve the problem.  Some choose to solve it right there, some choose to return to their seat to solve.  Then they find the next card, and etc.  After 10 cards I require students to check in with me so I can spot check their progress with the answer key.  They fix any mistakes and then head out to search for the next 10 and so on.......

For us, it's the perfect way to review for a quiz/test or get in that needed pencil/paper practice. And it's way more fun than doing problems out of the book.  If you're looking for some task cards to try out a scavenger hunt, I have many in my math center packs - appropriate for 4th-6th grades.  You can find them HERE.




The treat I'm sharing with you - for a limited time only - is my Fall Multiplication and Division Math Centers (you can try out a task card scavenger hunt) for FREE!

Two sets of task cards, two days of independent math work and two math games - all appropriate for 4th-6th graders and Common Core aligned!   Grab it now before it's too late!!!

Fall Themed Multi-Digit Multiplication & Long Division Mat


Secondly, the treats are still coming!!!!! Enter the giveaway below for a chance to win a free copy of my best selling Common Core Critical Verb Vocabulary Cards!






Teachers from 2nd-8th grade love these cards and the test-taking prep they provide. These verbs are tricky and students cannot perform well on THE TEST if they do not know what the questions are asking them to do!!!

a Rafflecopter giveaway






12 comments

  1. Love your scavenger hunt idea. I've done them and kids always love the challenge of finding all the items. Great idea to do it with task cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not dressing up, but will wear my bright orange skinnies and a black crocheted cardigan that looks slightly like a spider web.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scavenger hunt is an activity that my 5th graders will love. Thanks for sharing.
    Beti

    ReplyDelete
  4. myself in a cute hween t-shirt
    Michelle Miller

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love task cards! I've always displayed them scavenger hunt-style. My kiddos love to work with a partner to try and find all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our 5th grade always coordinates costumes. This year, four of us our deer, and the 5th is a hunter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm dressing up as Glinda the Good Witch from The Wizard of Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog post and a fab freebie too, thanks!

    Teaching Autism

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the task cards. My kiddos will love these. Just orange and black for me.
    Beti

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the task cards. My kiddos will love these. Just orange and black for me.
    Beti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I am just a couple months away from student teaching and wanted to get a sense of what experienced teachers are doing in their classrooms.I love the idea of a scavenger hunt for independent math! A scavenger hunt is such an easy way to get students moving around the classroom, but still focused on a task at the same time. How often do use activities like these in math? I can definitely see myself using this tool in my classroom in the near future. Thanks for the great ideas and freebies!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top