Fifth Grade Read Alouds

A Saturday isn't complete without a little online shopping!!!  I'm currently looking for the perfect pair of brown riding boots for this winter, so far no luck. But I did score some finds at my second favorite shopping venture Amazon.com. Have I mentioned yet that I'm obsessed with books!

I'm in the search for new read alouds this year because I retained a student for the first time. I usually switch them up every year or two anyway, I get bored quickly.  This year, with my district adopting the CCSS, I'm looking for read alouds that address perspective/point of view.  Here are some of the books I'm considering that I hope will help us notice, discuss, and analyze how perspective can shape a story.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-R-J-Palacio/dp/0375869026/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348359118&sr=1-1&keywords=Wonder

This book was recommended to my by our literacy coach as a great read aloud to address perspective. This story about acceptance begins from the main character's point of view, but then switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others.

http://www.amazon.com/The-View-Saturday-E-Konigsburg/dp/B002VK3LYE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1348358816&sr=8-4&keywords=the+view+from+saturday

This one I read aloud a few years ago based on a recommendation from Frank Serafini (Around the Reader's Workshop in 180 days). It also changes perspective from chapter to chapter.  It's a fun book about friendship and accepting differences.




Here are some quicker reads to address perspective. The first two are picture books that my district purchased as part of our Making Meaning comprehension program. But all three can be found on Amazon.com.  



http://www.amazon.com/One-Only-Ivan-Katherine-Applegate/dp/0061992259/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348359305&sr=1-1&keywords=ivan+the+great

I think this one might be interesting to discuss why an author would choose to write a story from a non-human perspective. The author blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.



Another non-human perspective.  I read the adult version of this story and loved it. The kid's version story involves a guy who is an amateur racer - SCCA and that type - but still has a day job. He dreams of hitting the big time, and shares his thoughts and dreams with Enzo, his dog. The two share life's trials and tribulations, through Denny's marriage and what comes afterwards. All through Enzo's eyes

There are so many great read alouds, choosing is the hardest part!  This is just a short list of what I've come across (you should see my Amazon.com wishlist LOL).  Maybe I'll post about those next pay day!  

Anyone tried any of these yet, or have any other suggestions?

3 comments

  1. I've had Wonder in my reading pile since the summer. I'm finally reading it now and it is so good. I'm trying to decide if I want to suggest it to the fifth grade teachers since several of the topics (like genetics) tie in with their curriculum.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Wonder. Our entire fifth grade staff is reading it aloud and using this unit plan to go along with it. Here is the free link to the unit.

    http://oaklandk12-public.rubiconatlas.org/Atlas/Browse/UnitMap/View/Default?UnitID=16012&YearID=2013&SchoolID=19&TimePeriodID=21&SourceSiteID=&CurriculumMapID=746&

    It's called Following Characters Into Meaning, and it's totally free. Scroll down to the very bottom and click on the link and it will take you to the Microsoft Word version of the actual lesson plans - designed to go along with the book Wonder. Let me know if you can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did Wonder as a fifth grade read-aloud last year, and it was so profoundly amazing... even among the toughest students... I would highly recommend. I plan to do The One and Only Ivan as a read-aloud this year, great story... Right now I am doing Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead.

    ReplyDelete