Recent Reads and Mentor Text Recommendation

I challenged my fifth graders to read two books over spring break.  And I can't issue a challenge without taking part- so here's where I traveled (figuratively) the past week......

Mr. Terupt falls again  

The Great Unexpected


After finishing Because of Mr Terupt as a class before break, I had to read the sequel Mr. Terupt Falls Again during break.  So, I spent the beginning of the week back in Snow Hill School with the best teacher ever- Mr. Terupt. I relived the excitement and heartbreak of sixth grade from the perspectives of Jessica, Peter, Anna, Danielle, Lexie, Jeffrey, and Luke as they struggled with love, loss, renewal, and adolescent milestones. 

It brought me back to my own days of hiding under the covers reading Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, and rejoicing in the knowledge that other sixth graders were as confused and awkward as me. And as Jessica from Mr. Terupt's class loves a happy ending, this book doesn't disappoint.

Toward the end of the week I picked up the Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech and traveled back in time to Blackbird Tree where two orphan girls, Naomi and Lizzie are surrounded by curious surprises during a childhood summer full of climbing trees and chores. Across the ocean, an old lady is cooking up a plan that unexpectedly connects the characters, and teaches great lessons of friendship and forgiveness.

Both reads were recommended to me by students and I can't wait to share them with the rest of the class when we return from break, yikes, tomorrow!


Lastly, I'm sharing one of my favorite mentor texts that I use to discuss "ideas" in writing workshop. The book is titled Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street. It is about the power of observation as an author. 

The main character is assigned to write in her writer's notebook, but she cannot come up with any ideas so she begins to write about what's happening on her street. One thing leads to another and she spins a fabulous tale out of nothing. It's an inspiring read with strategies that can be referred to throughout the year when writers struggle with finding the "right" idea.

Nothing Ever Happens on 90th street



Check it out!

Good night all!  I guess I have to admit that my spring break is really ending.........

2 comments

  1. I love this linky because I get so many different perspectives on books! You are the 3rd or 4th one to mention Sharon Creech and I'm not even sure I've ever heard of her! I will have to check her out!

    I love that you assigned your students a book over spring break! Great idea!

    I have Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street but haven't read it to my class, ever, so I need to put that on my list for writer's workshop launch next year!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon Creech has written many novels that are excellent for upper elementary/middle school students. Some of my favorites are Ruby Holler, Walk Two Moons, and Love That Dog! I love this linky too because it is so fun to discover new books and authors!

      Melissa

      Delete