Shared Reading in the Upper Elementary

Even big kids need shared reading!  It's the perfect way to model/practice comprehension strategies and build oral fluency, and it only takes 10-15 minutes a day.  

I'm sharing my Shared Reading in the Upper Grades FREEBIE with YOU today. This resource outlines how we share reading each day in room 206 and it includes our shared reading note-taking graphic organizers.

shared reading in the upper elementary


So how do we share reading in room 206?  


Each week I choose a 1-2 page short story, drama, poem, or nonfiction article.  Highlights Magazines, Time for Kids, Scholastic News, Zoo Books, and Kids Discover are my usual go tos.  But there are tons of great websites that offer FREE short texts too.  This text is the piece we examine all week during shared reading time.

On Day 1, (preview and predict) before I pass out the text, I give students the headline/title of the piece and they predict the genre.  

First they think on their own, then write their predictions on the shared reading graphic organizer I've included HERE, then they share their thinking with a partner and eventually we discuss the predictions as a class. Great conversations occur from their predictions and they can't wait to see the text of the week. 

I pass it out and students preview the text and predict what it will be about on their graphic organizers. (Think, pair, share again).  We put the text and the graphic organizer away in our reading folders for safe keeping.

shared reading preview and predict


On Day 2, (fluency and wonderings) I read the text aloud.  This is the day we practice our oral fluency. You can play all kinds of fun games to enhance oral reading fluency.  My favorite is just reading a paragraph at a time and having the students repeat it when I'm done - just like I sounded.  I call off random groups of students so they never know who's next to read and it keeps them engaged.  I might say "everyone who brought cold lunch please read paragraph number one after me," or "everyone wearing blue, or sneakers, or with brown hair," or "everyone who loves video games, or animals, or pizza," etc.  It's fun and they have to listen carefully while I read, so they can read it with the same expression and fluency.  Plus, the class is hearing each paragraph twice so it increases comprehension.  

After we finish the text. Students record their wonderings on their weekly shared reading graphic organizer, share with a partner, and then we discuss as a class.

On Day 3, (author's purpose or perspective) depending on the genre, students reread the text with a partner to determine the author's purpose for writing the piece and the point of view of the author (nonfiction) or perspective (fiction). Students again write their notes on their shared reading organizer and we talk about how the author's purpose, point of view/perspective influence the text.

On Day 4, (text structure) students reread a few sections of the text (that I've determined ahead of time because they contain organizational clues) independently. They take notes on the organizational structure (cause/effect, problem/solution, etc.) or the story, drama or poetry elements.

Lastly, on Day 5, (determining importance/theme/summarizing) the students reread the entire text independently and highlight the main ideas from each paragraph (nonfiction) or the evidence of the theme (fiction). Students use all of the information on their shared reading graphic organizer to compose a summary of the weekly piece.

shared reading summary
So, there you have it!  I would love to hear how you do shared reading with your upper elementary students.  I love getting new ideas!

Enjoy!

3 comments