Post Your Academic Vocabulary on a Math Word Wall for Your Students to Refer to All Year Long

Marzano states that children need exposure to academic vocabulary words at least 26 times to gain understanding. 

Whew! Twenty-six times!!! 

One way my students practice academic vocabulary is by entering the words into our academic vocabulary folders. 

First we self assess our understanding of the new term, then we work together to describe the word and illustrate it. Next, we add the word to our word wall.  We do activities with the words on the word wall and play games to increase exposure. Last, we continue to self assess until we've reached a thorough understanding.

I wrote a five part blog series all about how I teach academic vocabulary.  Click HERE to read those posts.

Right now we're up north and the smell of s'mores is calling my name so I don't have time to explain further, yet. But I do have time to share a few pictures of the math word wall set I'm planning to use in my classroom this year.

You all know my obsession with animal print. Yes, I'm that girl. LOL


zebra print math word wall 
zebra print math word wall cards
zebra print editable math vocabulary cards

zebra print math word wall banner


You can also check out my Math Word Wall Cards for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grades.  Plus, these cards are available in nine different design styles: chevron, polka dot, rainbow colors, no backgrounds, black & white, animal print, shiplap, patriotic/nautical, and cactus. 

Click HERE to see ALL the sets available in my store.  

All words are from the Common Core generated word lists.


Enjoy!!  Time for some marshmallow roasting for me........

7 comments

  1. 26 times??? WOW! Thanks for this important reminder!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm that girl to! To the point that my kiddos make purchases for me when they see anything animal print! I also teach fifth grade and my room is animal print everywhere :-) planning on incorporating word wall this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL mine do that too. It's sweet but also hilarious. I'm so glad to hear that there are other zebra fanatics out there too! I'd love to see pics of your classroom!

      Melissa

      Delete
  3. Wow! I can't get over that they need to review something 26 times! I always thought it was 16 times. Thanks for the info! :)

    Gluesticks 'N Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your newest follower. I love that you have common core related items.

    Jamie
    Sixth Grade Tales

    ReplyDelete