Academic Vocabulary - Math Word Wall

Marzano states that children need exposure to academic vocabulary words at least 26 times to gain undertanding. Whew! Twenty-six times!!! One way my students practice academic vocabulary is by entering the words into our academic vocabulary folders. First we self assess our understanding of the new term, then we work together to describe the word and illustrate it. Next, we add the word to our word wall.  We do activities with the words on the word wall and play games to increase exposure. Last, we continue to self assess until we've reached a thorough understanding.

I can't wait to show you our folders and the games/activities we play. So check back soon. Right now we're up north and the smell of s'mores is calling my name so I don't have time. But I do have time to share a FREEBIE. Click here for a free math word wall banner - zebra theme of course. You all know my obsession with animal print. Yes, I'm that girl. LOL





You can also check out my Math Word Wall Academic Vocabulary Word Wall Cards for:
3rd
4th
5th
6th
BUNDLE.

All words are from the Common Core generated word lists.

Check out my Zebra Math Word Wall Banner Freebie at Manic Monday - Classroom Freebies!

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday


Enjoy!!  Time for some marshmallow roasting........

7 comments

  1. 26 times??? WOW! Thanks for this important reminder!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm that girl to! To the point that my kiddos make purchases for me when they see anything animal print! I also teach fifth grade and my room is animal print everywhere :-) planning on incorporating word wall this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL mine do that too. It's sweet but also hilarious. I'm so glad to hear that there are other zebra fanatics out there too! I'd love to see pics of your classroom!

      Melissa

      Delete
  3. Wow! I can't get over that they need to review something 26 times! I always thought it was 16 times. Thanks for the info! :)

    Gluesticks 'N Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sign! Zebra patterns are so cute!
    Amy
    3 Teacher Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm your newest follower. I love that you have common core related items.

    Jamie
    Sixth Grade Tales

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top