Christmas Decimal Math Centers to Keep Your Students Engaged Before Break

I hope you're as excited as I am for Christmas break.  I'm counting down the days over here.

And to make the last few days of school fun for my kiddos, I created this new resource - Christmas Decimal Centers - to use during our math centers.  

Christmas themed decimal math centers


I plan to use this resource during our math workshop centers. If you're wondering how we do math workshop in room 206 click HERE. 

I like to create my math workshop stations ahead of time.  It's  a lot of planning up front, but then smooth sailing once the unit is underway.  I plan the mini-lesson each day based on our district curriculum, and then students practice the unit skills at centers during independent math time.  This allows me to work with guided math groups who need intervention and/or enrichment.

I always plan six centers a week for students to complete. My Christmas Decimal Centers pack includes the following six centers -

Task card center:  Decimal place value task cards (standard, word, expanded form), recording sheets and answer keys.


decimal place value task cards



Independent work center: Decimal addition and subtraction practice problems and answer keys.

decimal addition and subtraction story problems
 

Vocabulary center: Decimal academic vocabulary cards and math dictionary recording sheets. My students record new vocabulary words each week in their math dictionaries.  They rate their understanding, draw examples and write descriptions. They use these words to play vocabulary games.  I've said this before, and I'm saying it again, according to Robert Marzano students need to see and use new vocabulary words 26 times to reach understanding.
 
math academic vocabulary for decimals
 

Math games center: Reindeer decimal multiplication roll and reindeer decimal division roll (Rules and Recording sheets are included - all students need is dice).

math center decimal games


Problem solving center: Comparing decimals - Santa's reindeer's flying speeds (Students will order, compare, round and graph decimal numbers).

 
Christmas themed decimal math centers

The sixth center will be your guided math center where you work with small groups of students who need reteaching, additional practice, or enrichment.

Whew!  Now that it's complete, I'm off to do some last minute Christmas shopping.  

Enjoy!


No comments

Post a Comment