Tricks and Treats Blog Hop


Happy October teacher friends! I'm joining up with the Tricks & Treats blog hop this weekend!  And I have a few goodies in store for you.

First of all, I have to start off by sharing this picture!!  We have a half day of school on Halloween also - double bonus!!




Now that we have that off our chests - I'd like to do a little "Trick" and "Treating" with all of you!!!

The trick that I'm sharing is how I use task cards during math workshop - scavenger hunt style.  We all know about the MANY, MANY awesome ways you can use task cards in your classroom.  From Scoot, to partner quizzing, to independent practice, to self assessment, the list goes on and on. I've tried almost all of them, and in the end, the task card trick that works best for my class is a task card scavenger hunt.

We call this our Task Card Center during Math Workshop, and students know that when it's their turn to complete this center, instead of doing problems out of of their math book for independent practice, they are going to search out the problems around the room. They LOVE this activity because they get to be up and moving around.  I LOVE this activity because I only have to print one set of task cards in color, laminate and cut, and they stay in great shape because no one is touching them except me......ha ha ha.



How do I set up the scavenger hunt?  It's super easy.  Print and cut out your set of task cards. Laminate if you wish for better durability. Print out enough recording sheets for each student. Before class, tape the cards around the room - I make some pretty easy to find, and some a bit more "tricky."  When class starts, instruct students to use a clipboard and their recording sheet and walk around quietly searching for a card.  When they find a card, they write down the problem on their recording sheet and begin to solve the problem.  Some choose to solve it right there, some choose to return to their seat to solve.  Then they find the next card, and etc.  After 10 cards I require students to check in with me so I can spot check their progress with the answer key.  They fix any mistakes and then head out to search for the next 10 and so on.......

For us, it's the perfect way to review for a quiz/test or get in that needed pencil/paper practice. And it's way more fun than doing problems out of the book.  If you're looking for some task cards to try out a scavenger hunt, I have many in my math center packs - appropriate for 4th-6th grades.  You can find them HERE.

Now that I've shared my trick, here is a treat just in time for Halloween.  I've updated my Spooky Multiplication Roll Math Center Game and it's FREE for all my teacher friends.  This game is perfect to spiral, reinforce, or review multi-digit multiplication.  After I teach the game and students play it a few times for practice, I leave it out throughout the month of October for early finishers to play as well.  It's always a spooky hit.  What kid doesn't love ghosts and dice?  Enjoy!!







8 comments

  1. Kids do love to be up and moving in the classroom; I think they learn more that way, too.
    Thanks for the post,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING, as in class changing! Thanks for the awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your task card suggestion. This is almost what I did with task cards in my science lab this week. I placed the cards on the wall around the room and sent kids to do them as they were waiting on their pancakes to cook. Yes, we experimented with pancakes this week! Thanks for sharing your ideas!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to utilize task cards and FUN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing GREAT and sound advice on using task cards in the classroom. Your blog is adorable!
    Best wishes!
    Jen :)
    TeacherKarma.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scavenger hunts!!! This was a great trick!! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I do the SAME thing! I love that it helps my wigglers too!!!!

    Thanks for the great little game. I like to put review games in my math centers sometimes to keep kids happy about math!

    Thanks
    Cheers,
    jameson
    Lessons With Coffee

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top