Monday, September 3rd





Teaching Blog Addicts is hosting Open House Week and Monday's Topic is Meet the Teacher:

Hi! My name is Melissa O'Bryan and this is my tenth year of teaching fifth grade in Michigan.  I'm brand new to the blogging world, this is only my second post - LOL.  I have two young children, a 5 year old girl who will start Kindergarten tomorrow morning - I'm still in denial.  And, a 7 year old boy who will start third grade.  I'm also married to a high school English teacher/hockey coach.  Education is the main topic of conversation in this household.  My kids can't wait to go back to school to escape school talk at home. :)

I'm excited to start back to work tomorrow with a brand new group of fifth graders - all 32 of them.  Yes I said 32.  Largest group I've ever had but I'm still looking forward to a great year.  Got to be positive.  I'm also excited to get my reading, writing, and math workshops back underway - after I spend WEEKS on procedures, procedures, procedures (trying out some new whole brain teaching techniques this year - that'll be a another post).  I love workshop.  I call myself a workshop girl.  It fits my style of teaching perfectly and I love the choice, independence, and autonomy it provides my students, as well as the one-on-one conferring and small group time if affords me as a teacher.  I just can't do the whole group teaching thing.  I've tried and failed.  LOL  Anyway, in the near future I plan to start posting about how I'm implementing my workshops. I hope you'll stick around and check out those posts as well.

Lastly, I also love humor and having fun.  You've got to keep those kids smiling to make it through the day! And I love all things animal print and chocolate. Thanks for stopping by to get to know me a bit better.

How many of you use workshops in your classroom?  What is a first week procedure you just can't live without?  I'd love to read about it in the comment section below!

Check back over to Teaching Blog Addicts to meet more teachers like me.

No comments

Post a Comment